CASL is proud to announce a new collaboration between our Elderly Services Department and the Alzheimer’s Association, Greater Illinois Chapter (GIC). 13% of CASL’s clients currently suffer from Alzheimer’s disease, and this collaboration will help them—and the larger Chinatown community—receive the care and attention they need to live full and comfortable lives in the wake of this debilitating illness. CASL is committed to improving the lives of Chinese older adults, and partnership with the Alzheimer’s Association will draw upon the unique knowledge of both organizations to achieve common goals. With emphasis on training, support and activation, key initiatives of this collaboration include:
1. Joint proposals to potential funders for support of the collaborative efforts
2. Co-development of culturally-appropriate Alzheimer’s training for CASL’s staff and clients
3. Establishment of support groups within the Chinese community at CASL
4. Identification and/or creation of materials in Chinese language
5. Establishment of a Alzheimer’s resource center at CASL
6. Culturally-sensitive training for GIC staff to learn how to engage with the Chinese community
In celebration of this collaboration, CASL and the Alzheimer’s Association held a joint press conference on November 24th, in CASL’s Grand Hall, with a special performance by our own Pine Tree Council Choir.